Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Support are Loving Crutches

In January I started my Master's program online through Ashford University. After carefully studying around 30 different programs, I finally chose Ashford's Organizational Management program with a specialization in Supply Chain Management. I will be finished in April of next year, and the funny thing is, is that the thought of ever obtaining a Bachelor's Degree never even crossed my mind.

I have an amazing support system that has encouraged me throughout my entire academic career. In high school, my parents were always catechizing about what I was going to do after I graduated, and my answer was always “I don’t know”. It took me almost ten years to figure out what I really wanted to do, but I think if my parents hadn’t have taken an interest in my studies, I may have never even pursued college. With six kids in my family, I am the only one that completed a Bachelor’s Degree, or even started one for that matter. I believe that my Dad always asking “when are you going to finish?”, although very annoying, helped motivate me to finish my undergraduate degree. I suppose that was his way of supporting me in my efforts.

I think that many people have a hard time finishing degrees due to conflict of schedule, which makes it hard to balance your time. In a study done by Wlodkowski, Mauldin, and Gahn in 2001, they concluded that; “Lack of time was the dominant theme for leaving both colleges. The adult students repeatedly and emphatically mentioned competing priorities and not having enough time to meet the demands of family, work, and school” (Wlodkowski, 2003) As we can see from their study, family plays a big part in the completion of degrees. If a wife has the support of her husband, he will take care of the kids when it is time for her to do her studies, and vice-versa. If spouses play no role in the support system, there is always a friend or family member close by.

In my case, I have a very loving wife that has supported me since day one. As I struggle for motivation to go into the computer room and study, she is always there to give me a swift kick in the butt . . . literally . . . not really. After watching our child all day long, she steps up without a peep and occupies him while I spend time here at the computer. When she needs a break, I take time out to watch the kids and let her relax for a bit. By helping and serving each other’s needs, we are both always wanting and willing to do favors for each other. We both understand the end goal of this education and are willing to support each other in any way possible.

I also believe that random people can be a support to us. As conversation arises about education, I mention that I have started a Master’s Program and the response is always positive and is enough reinforcement for me to keep chipping away. Support is very crucial for someone to accomplish things, it motivates and inspires people to do great things, and the people closest to us should be that inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment